Tips for properly discarding cigarette butts
- Put your cigarette butt out COMPLETELY. Use water if possible.
- Don’t dispose of cigarettes in planters or landscaped areas. They can smolder for hours before flames develop.
- Discard cigarettes in a fire proof container, such as a metal cigarette butt container, that is filled with sand or water.
- Make sure the container is not placed in landscaping or on a deck, both of which can burn if the cigarette butt doesn’t make it into the container.
- Containers should be emptied frequently.
If you or a family member is experiencing serious current health issues from secondhand smoke, you may need to start looking for an apartment or house where indoor smoking is not allowed. See our smoke-free rental housing map to find properties that have indoor smoke-free policies.
Ask your landlord to let you move to a building where smoking is not allowed
Ask if they would allow you to break your lease without penalty.
Ask your landlord to enforce the building’s smoke-free policy if they have one.
Ask your landlord to consider adopting a no-smoking rule for the building.
Ask your landlord to survey tenants to get their input on a no-smoking policy.
For more information on how to talk with your landlord: “Do’s and Don’t’s”