The Tobacco Free Lancaster County coalition has been an active member of the community for almost 20 years.
Over the last two decades, the coalition has worked toward smoke-free air to protect the residents of Lincoln and Lancaster County from the harmful effects of tobacco smoke. As part of that effort, the coalition worked with Lincoln officials to pass the state’s first smoke-free workplace ordinance in 2004. To help the community learn about the law and its benefits, the coalition:
- Created the Enjoy Smoke-Free Lincoln media campaign to inform the public about the law.
- Produced an implementation packet to assist businesses in complying with Lincoln’s smoke-free air ordinance.
- Partnered with local law enforcement to enforce the law.
- Implemented a successful smoke-free home and cars campaign that educated youth and adults about the dangers of secondhand smoke
The coalition actively works to prevent kids from starting to use tobacco products, including:
- Partnering with local law enforcement of tobacco retailers to enforce the state law prohibiting tobacco sales to youth; and
- Creating an educational tobacco video called "Counting the Cost" for youth and adults.